Our first term is done. I am going over the final review of the report cards, and I think that we are doing pretty well. Students have been taught quite a lot this term already. We have worked hard to develop our reading and writing skills, our math skills and our ability to work cooperatively with others in groups. Skills we have worked on include:
- Writing - outlining, introductions, conclusions, sentence and paragraph expansion, report writing and formatting
- Reading - inferring, making connections, questioning, extracting information, context clues
- Research skills - extracting and synthesizing information from various sources
- Referencing and Citation skills - how to reference and cite to strengthen writing
- Math - factors, LCM, GCF, fractions, equivalent fractions, adding and subtracting fractions
The kids are starting a couple of new projects that are short and sweet so they can finish them up before the break. The goal is to have no homework during the holidays. Groups are working on a science display to show their learning from our last chapter. They are also working on math and writing with Division 2 in our pod. For writing, they are working in groups to create a script to explain a topic of their choosing. After they write the script, they will produce the video in the new year.
For our Winter Concert we are joining our buddy class, Division 14, to sing Silver and Gold as we hang the ornaments the big and little buddies have hand crafted. Make sure you join us for the performance on Wed. Dec. 17.
I wanted to say 'Good Luck' to Kyla as she and her dance crew perform tonight at the Massey Theater. All the best to you Kyla! (Sorry, I can't make it tonight because we have previous plans)
All the best to you this weekend. Relax now that the pressure is off. Let's get ready for the last two weeks before the break.
*Thought you might like to see a project done by students from Franklin. It's a 'Choose Your Own Mystery' style website. Check it out http://crownofsnakes.weebly.com/